So I apparently only blogged the first week of last years Easter Eggs. Must have gotten distracted by annoying life things, but the eggs themselves did happen. I promise.
Week 2 was natural dyes with a plant relief pattern. I learned a valuable lesson regarding natural dye. It requires planning ahead. I did not plan ahead. And then I think we were impatient and did not let them set more than a few hours instead of overnight. not sure exactly, it was a year ago, but I also made do with what vegetables I could find at Kroger, we didn’t have our Sprouts yet. Anyway, they turned out pretty, but not as colorful as I was hoping. This is one we’ll be returning to in a few years.
As far as the plant relief goes, some turned out beautifully, some obviously weren’t secured tightly enough, either than or the chosen weeds were more porous than others.
can’t remember what made the black one; the blue was cabbage, improperly aged and set; the yellow is turmeric; the stone looking one blackberries; the brown is beets; and the tan is carrots
the relief on the black egg didn’t show up at all; the relief on the cabbage egg was a flower with smudged and smooshed petals, looks pretty cool, but the panty hose we tied it on with was tied at the top and made the dye really thin there; the relief on the turmeric didn’t show up at all, but the color was gorgeous.
the relief on the blackberry died egg didn’t show up at all, and it came out with an odd stone look. it’s odd, not really bright or colorful, but beautiful in a subdued way; the beets probably needed to be prepared differently, or combined with something, but the odd color is still pretty, and it has one of the best reliefs; and the carrots weren’t colorful at all, but, again, pretty in a neutral way, with a very nice relief
all in all, it was a learning experience and well worth trying again with better attention to directions, hehe