So, it worked out well that I hadn’t counted on the extra weekend in March, because I just did not have the energy to dye eggs last week, but we still had one last weekend to use our fourth method. This time around, we used shaving cream and food dye, as seen numerous places including this particular blog, chosen simply because she had the prettiest picture to pin…
Anyway, my daughter had done something very similar a couple years ago, except that time we had used cool whip instead of shaving cream because she was dyeing hard boiled eggs we intended to eat. She really enjoyed that experiment and was looking forward to using the method again.
Suggestions: use a LOT of dye! the thicker the dye, the brighter the colors will be on the eggs. Also, I highly recommend using the neon dye as it also much brighter.
I didn’t have a perfect container this time, so I selected one that may be a bit too small and one that was definitely too big, gathered the dye, the blown eggs, shaving cream, tooth picks and bamboo skewers to swirl the cream and move the eggs around, tongs to pull the eggs out, and cupcake liners to let the eggs dry in.
Once our cat had inspected the materials, it was time to begin.
I went first to test out the little container and so that she would understand all the materials and options.
After filling the tub, I decided it needed to be spread around just a little bit to ensure a better covering of the egg. I didn’t want any air pockets between my eggs and the cream keeping the dye off the shell.
I added my dye…
…and swirled it.
It was a lot harder to roll my egg around than I expected, smearing and stirring my artfully swirled dye. I wasn’t so sure about how it all ended up on the egg.
This time, I liked the colors swirled through the white so much that I dropped the dye further apart and brought it in so there’d be some white. I used the same method with the spoon to cover the egg.
Our eggs when we were done:
On the left: my first, third, and second. Don’t ask me why they got rearranged.
On the right: her second, third, and first. Again, the order got weird…
Our eggs the next morning:
I slid a poster underneath them because I figured the dye would seep through the thin paper of the cupcake liners. I’m really glad I did, because it almost seeped through the poster as well.
My daughter thought they were pretty ugly at this point.
My second, third, and first. I like the second one the best. The blue and green didn’t hold as fast as the pink, and the purple kinda fades into the pink.
Her first, third, and second. She doesn’t want to keep the first because it’s ugly, her words. I agree that the red/yellow (seen a little up at the top) doesn’t look that nice, kinda like rust, honestly, but the blue and green might work out okay if you use a LOT of dye, swirl it, and let it set a full 24 hours instead of just over night. Both of the others are primarily pink, but she’s perfectly fine with that. It is the magical color after all. You can see the importance of using plenty of dye here, though, in the difference between my left over dye and her fresh application.