Because we had girls who needed to catch up, earn the yellow petal and begin their garden murals, I decided to divide Tula into two sessions. In the first session, we reviewed Sunny and the Kapers, showing them the completed chart, added Tula to the mural after catching up the girls who had been absent and worked on our murals, adding Tula, and read Tula’s story. For homework, I told the girls to ask someone to tell them about a real life courageous and strong women that they could share with us in the next session.
I added the Kaper chart to the Rule chart, and it is now hung on our cubby door in the girl scout house where we meet. I came up with the idea for the form at the same time that I planned out the rule chart, but I did use a pin by Sarah Zahrobsky (which links to her blog) as a sort of model, particularly her comment about writing the names on both sides of the clothespins so that they never have to be upside down. Again, the daisy is made out of a paper plate and card stock. I wrote the names with glitter glue tubes.
My leader really liked the “it” and “other” jars idea, I made them as well, but I used little flower pots from the dollar tree (they came in a four pack) and green craft sticks. A scrapbooking crop template gave me the yellow flower centers and a circle punch gave me the petals, cardstock and printer paper, glued together and then to the top of the sticks. The idea is that everyone’s stick starts in the “it” jar, (or flower in the “it” pot), and then, as jobs not prepared on the kaper chart come up, one time jobs, you draw a flower for a helper, and then her flower goes in the “other” pot until everyone’s helped out and they all move back.
I bought a pack of foam sheets from the dollar tree, used one sheet of red, two of green, and the rest went into the troop craft supplies for later projects.
I drew a tulip shape on white paper, cut it out, traced it seven times onto the red foam, then divided them into three petals each. I learned when doing the mock-up that I needed to mark the bottom of each piece to make reassembling them easier, and, since each one would be cut out individually and therefore unique, I marked them all 1a, 2a, 3a, 1b, 2b, etc. Then I did the same for the stem and leaves on the green foam.
The girls assembled them like a puzzle before flipping them over piece by piece and gluing them down. They had a lot more difficulty with this concept than I thought, half of them gluing the marked side up and/or gluing the pieces down more or less randomly even after having help assembling them first. I should probably have just handed them one piece for the flower and one piece for the stem/leaves.
In the second session, we had five out six girls, and the four who were there last week helped me tell the fifth about Tula. Then my daughter told them all about Esther, and, because she was the only one who had a story, our leader told each of the others one to share. Caught up on Tula, we passed out snacks and I read the Rosie’s story. After talking about it, I tied it in to the “Welcome to the Daisy Flower Garden” journey. We talked about how for the journey we were supposed to work on a garden “take-action” project, and to earn the Rosie petal we needed to make the world a better place, so we could do them at the same time.
After discussing different ideas, we decided to plant individual flowers, care for them for a while, then find someone to give them to, and teach people about composting. I went prepared with two ideas: growing individual flowers to give away and finding a stretch of city property to seed with wildflowers. One of the girls suggested planting flowers somewhere, and the others mostly said things like water flowers and sunshine, thinking more about how to care for a garden than what sort of project they could do, and then one suggested teaching people about composting. Once it became evident that the brainstorm session was drifting, I pointed out that most of the ideas were about caring for flowers once they’d been planted, so it was basically all one idea, and there were two ways we could do it. Two girls liked the individual flowers idea and two liked the wildflowers idea, and no one complained even once when the tie was broken in favor of individual flowers, then we agreed to teach people about composting as well because that’s just a good idea.
We didn’t work on murals because, between catch-up, connecting the journey to the petals, and brainstorming, we ran out of time, but it shouldn’t be too hard to add two flowers next time. They completed Tula, earning the red petal, and they’ll have earned the pink once the flowers are planted next time and the honey bee once the flowers have been given away.
On the way out, they each received a photocopy of step 3 from Tula’s story in the guidebook and the Tula take home I had made up.
We still have one girl who’s behind, three weeks now, and there’s yet another new girl who’s supposed be joining us in a couple weeks. I’m no longer planning on how to catch them up as I go, but we’ll figure that out if they show.